Monday, February 20, 2012

Music Review: Magnetic North - Home:Word [Deluxe Edition]

On November 29th 2011, hip hop group Magnetic North released their remastered and revamped collaboration album with Taiyo Na entitled, Home:Word [Deluxe Edition]. The culmination of 3 years of work, the collection includes 6 new songs as well as the majority of the original release's songs redone to feature some of the artists Magnetic North and Taiyo Na have shared the stage with while performing (Sam Kang, Heather Park and more).


Fortunately for all of us, this long time coming album was well worth the wait...


Sound:
In general the album steps away from the harder hitting more dramatic sound of many of Magnetic North's older songs ("We Will Not Be Moved" and "Price of Perfection" for example). The new album explores a wider variety of rhythms and beats.  From the soft relaxing piano of "Home:Word" to the jazzier sound of "I'm Here" to the poppy, fun paced guitar of "Summertime," This album has a nice, relaxed and homey feeling to it.

Despite the lighter tone, all of Theresa Vu's and Derek Kan's (the two members who make up Magnetic North) lyrical talent and rapping skill are obviously present and the voices of the other featured artists bring an intriguing and sweet complexity to the music.

Related to the title, the album revolves around home, family and friends, from the album's title song, about the importance of home, to "In My Corner" about the presence of loved ones no longer with us.

UPDATE 3/3/2012:
Upon further listening to Magnetic North's new album, I realized how woefully insufficient my original review was. If you know Magnetic North at all, they made a name for themselves with clever and catchy rap lyrics while telling relevant stories about the Asian American community and struggles. It is a field that is only now rapidly expanding as more and more Asian American artists take advantage of new media and pick up microphone to rap, sing, and play music.  The new album shows all those traits integrating great sounding lyrics with a deeper message that hits home for so many of us about our relatives, homes, relationships and more. In terms of criticism, some say that the songs, especially in this album, are somewhat cheesy. Although the topics are indeed disney-esque PG, for me, Magnetic North's songs fill a void, speaking directly to my own experiences, and my generation's perspectives and I would take their meaningful words over drugs, hoes and guns anyday. It was something I thought I would never really find in professional music and now I can sit back and hum along to songs that I feel are a true part of me.

Listening to Home:Word is a delight and suitable for any occasion really, but I like it best when I am just lounging around and can absorb the clever lyrics.

I could go on and on about each song on the new album but I'll let you experience them for yourself. You can sample the new album and Magnetic North's older songs here. Or purchase Home:Word [Deluxe Edition] here for just 10 bucks. Or you could be super awesome by buying the album along with t-shirts and posters for just a little more.

My verdict? Buy the CD!!

My Favorites:
Home:Word (Duh)
I Got My
Summertime

Here is the song list:
1. We Belong [ft. Chris Lijima]
2. It'll Work Out [ft. Sidney Outlaw]
3. Chris Speaks
4. Summertime [ft. Conchita Campos]
5. La La La [ft. Ruth Cho]
6. New Love [ft. Heather Park]
7. I'm Here
8.Cold [ft. Sam Kang]
9. Fukushima
10. In My Corner
11. Postcards
12. Chuck Speaks
13. Home:Word [ft. Sam Kang]
14. I Got My [ft. Jin]
15. Home:Word (Acro Jazz Laboratories Remix) [ft. Sam Kang]



Additional Notes:
"Home:Word", "Summertime" and "I Got My" all have fun music video versions, with Home:Word being the most touching and having been produced by our friends, Wong Fu Productions. It was a fun collaboration as Wong Fu had done Magnetic North's first ever music video "Drift Away" 5 years earlier.

You can take follow Magnetic north at http://magnetichiphop.com/ and Taiyo Na at taiyona.com.

For a more in depth view at Magnetic North and their history stay tuned for their upcoming spotlight!



No comments:

Post a Comment